With spring just a few weeks away, it’s time to start planning your Poconos spring break. If you feel like you’ve been cooped up all winter long, spring break is the perfect time to get outdoors. The Pocono Mountain region is abundant in trails great for hiking and biking and roads ideal for a scenic tour. When planning your Poconos spring break, check out a few of these ideas on how to plan the best getaway.
- If you are looking for an adventure through the trees, try the dual-racing ziplines at Kittatinny Canoes. Featuring one of the largest zips in the United States, participants will zip through the trees dropping 36 stories. The actual zip will last for about 1-2 minutes but is well worth it for the amazing views of the Delaware River. Kittatinny opens for business from April through October. Reservations are recommended.
- The Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area is a 70,000-acre park in Bushkill, Pennsylvania. The park is home to over 100 miles of hiking trails. The spring season is a beautiful time to walk the trails because of the blooming trees and flowers. Plan to bring a picnic, paddle on the river or bring your bike to peddle through the park. The Delaware Water Gap is also home to over 100 miles of scenic driving roads.
- Promised Land State Park in Greentown, Pennsylvania is another great location for hikers anxious to hit the trails. The 3,000-acre park is home to 50 miles of trails. The Bruce Lake Trail is a 9.6-mile loop that leads to a natural glacial lake. The Little Falls Trail is beautiful to hike as it leads to many small waterfalls. Other activities to enjoy at the park include picnicking, fishing, canoeing, mountain biking, and sightseeing.
- Downtown Hawley, PA offers visitors to the region great shopping for a laid back kind of day. There are specialty stores and over a dozen antique stores like Miss Elly’s Antiques and Such. The Hawley Silk Mill in downtown Hawley offers a few places to shop including Mill Market and The Looking Glass Art Gallery. For a little pick me up, grab a cup of coffee at Cocoon Coffee House located at Hawley Silk Mill.
- The Pocono Mountains are home to many talented artists that call the area home. Celebrate these artists with an evening out on the town at Harmony Presents. Harmony Presents is an underground theater at Hawley Silk Mill. Enjoy a glass of wine or local craft beer while you sit and listen to everything from folk to bluegrass music. Tickets are general seating and can be purchased early or at the door.
- If this is your first time to the Pocono Mountains, there is so much to see, you might not know where to start. Here at The Settlers Inn, we’ve compiled a list of our favorite driving tours so all you have to do is get in your car and go. On our Wonderful Waterfall tour, you’ll drive to Childs Park and see 3 waterfalls. You’ll also have the opportunity to drive by Shohola Falls Natural Area, Raymondskill Falls, and Dingmans Falls. We also recommend our Scenic Back Road Tour. Sights to see along this tour include the Mount Moriah Cemetery, the Rowland Corners General Store, the Zane Grey Museum, Union Cemetery, and the Roebling Bridge.
We would love to have you stay with us at The Settlers Inn when planning your Poconos Spring Break. We offer 23 guest rooms and our location is convenient to many attractions and outdoor activities. As the weather begins to warm up, we invite guests to enjoy dining out on the terrace at our award-winning restaurant. We participate in the Hawley Bike Share Program so guests can grab a bike and head out to shop and explore the town. For reservation information, please call us at 570-226-2993.
Photo courtesy of Jumping Rocks