There is something for everyone in Hawley, PA, especially during the summertime! Of course, our beautiful Inn offers six gorgeous acres of meticulous herb and sculpture gardens, graceful riverfront lawns, a quiet covered terrace, and much more. If that weren’t enough, directly across the street from our front door is Bingham Park that offers tennis courts, walking trails, open greenspace, and a playground for the kids. Beyond these property lines lays the sweet and historic town of Hawley that offers a quaint coffee shop, unique antique stores, and multiple opportunities for boating, hiking, and other outdoor pastimes. However, if you’re looking for something else to do while visiting the Settlers Inn, the famous Wayne Country Fair: 2014 is taking place just 20 minutes down the road August 1st through the 9th! Here are just some of the attractions and events the fair is offering this year:
- Baking Contests: There’s nothing like an authentic county fair to bring out the best in our local kitchens! Suddenly every home cook starts bringing out the favorite family recipes, all for the chance to win the title and bragging rights of making the best cookies, brownies, or dessert bars in the county. Of course, there’s also the all-American apple pie contest and the winner can proudly display the glorious blue ribbon next to their incredible confection.
- Livestock Competitions: Since the Wayne County Fair: 2014 is sponsored by the Wayne County Cooperative Agricultural Society, many people travel from far and wide to see the award winning livestock. Cows, rabbits, goats, sheep, swine and more will be judged and showcased. Many will be available for sale at the end of the fair.
- A Demolition Derby: This wild, fun, and thrilling spectacle is a perennial favorite at the fair. Cars and drivers have strict guidelines and rules to which they must adhere before entering the derby. After they’re given the “green light”, it’s a no-holds-barred, all out free-for-all in the grandstand to see whose vehicle will last the longest and withstand the most impact.
- The Midway: Hosted by Wade Shows, Inc., the Wayne County Fair: 2014 is promising to be the best yet! Filled with terrific games of chance, zooming thrill rides, a kiddie ride area, and of course… dreamy fair food, there are few places where the young at heart would rather be. Fresh funnel cakes, old-fashioned candy apples, juicy turkey legs, great big puffs of cotton candy, and succulent Polish sausages all tantalize the taste buds and fill the air with their tempting aromas. For those who love the rides, there’s a traditional carousel, a Tilt-A-Whirl, and a Scrambler. Of course, for the more daring, perhaps a ride on the Pirate Ship or the Zipper may be in order!
- Entertainment: This year’s headlining act is award winning country music sensation Craig Campbell and special guest Eric Paslay. Both artists are known for their down-home honesty, deeply traditional country music texture, and the ability to instantly connect with their audiences. This fantastic concert is scheduled for Monday, August 4th at 7:30. Tickets cost between $20.00 and $25.00 (not including admission to the fairgrounds) and are available online and at the door. Don’t miss this tremendous summer concert!
Entry to the fairgrounds is $8.00 per person 24 months and older. This ticket grants access to most of the grandstand shows, free parking, and all of the midway rides. Some shows require an extra fee, as do all of the concessions and games.
Finally, after your exciting day at the fair, as a guest of The Settlers Inn, you’ll get to amble back to your cozy home away from home here in our little hamlet, relax in your finely appointed guest room, and soak the remains of the day away in your whirlpool tub (in some rooms). Be sure to make your reservations today as there is limited space available!